Tuesday 17 May 2011

Week 4 E-learning

- Does multi-tasking give you a real or false sense of having accomplished something?

From my point of view, multi-tasking may or may not work for me to accomplish something. 

Advantage:

Whenever I have homework to do, I usually do what I can first. Then I will sign in to MSN to see if my friends are online so that I could ask them about anything if I'm having problems with any work. Usually, I will put my status as"busy", and then continue with my homework so that people know that I'm busy doing something and that I may not reply their online messages. This allows me to do my work without distractions.

Disadvantage:

If I have a project to do, or if there are lots of homework to be done, I cannot sign in to MSN because I cannot focus on what I am doing. It will take me a longer time to accomplish my work when most of the time I have been chatting online with my friends.



- Is learning 3D and design different from learning programming, or is all learning the same? Why?

Learning 3D and design compared with learning programming, I feel that they are not related. 3D and design is about designing objects by looking at them from a perspective point of view. It requires creativity and understanding of the objects' property - like how they should look like. For programming, it means that you are using technologies or software applications to make something work. It is often accomplished by using hard-coding. All learning may or may not be the same, depends on how individual apply the method used for their own learning.

                                                                                                                           

Thinking Outside the Traditional 3D Mindset



Extracts from “Thinking Outside the Traditional 3D Mindset“ by Pete Bandstra.



The access to education resources in today’s web driven world continues to grow with each passing day.

Today’s students are connected to each other through laptops and phones, social networks and other technologies to keep them up to date on what is believed to be important to their lives.

While in lecture, using a laptop to take notes, they will IM with someone in the room or across the country, watch a video, and play a game or check their facebook stats. By taking a short, survey of a class the students learned a great deal about the time they waste with non-productive events.

Although the debate continues on the topic of multitasking and if the distractions have any true benefit for students, research studies continue to prove that; listening to an iPod, text messaging, watching videos and doing homework at the same time does not work and the only benefit is a heightened sense of distraction.

Learning is actually a very complex operation for an individual.


- The article states that “Learning is actually a very complex operation for an individual”. Do you agree with this? Do you feel that you approach your learning in the best way – if yes, how, and if no, how can you change your work style?

Yes, I agree with the statement above. Teenagers nowadays tend to on their computers or laptops often because they feel that they can do their work better. Students like me have a couple of modules or subjects to take. Most of the subjects have their own difficulties in some way. If I do not understand what I am learning, I will not know how to start my homework or how I should study this subject. When someone asks me a question regarding any subjects, I do not know how to give them an answer. Sometimes, there is a need for us to go online to search for resources for our own learning.

I feel that I do not really approach my learning in the best way. I only study when exams are near. I should try to get used to the habit of revising whenever I have the free time rather than doing things at the last minute. Also, I could try to do some practice in order for me to experience what the problem is like.

                                                                                                                                  

The Chronicle of Higher Education



The students for today’s industry have to have talent and the personality to fit in with the team. As a professional artist, communication is important and the ability to communicate well with other team members is an ongoing struggle. It is well noted that a business's success rides completely on communication and this area is no different. The ability to effectively write an email, give and take constructive criticism, articulate a solution to a problem, and in some situations talk with a client are foundational skills necessary for success.


- What are your thoughts about the last paragraph in the extract?

I feel that students do not necessarily have to have the talent and the personality to fit in with the team. As long as we do our work properly with much effort, people will respect us as what we are. We do not need to bother about what others might think of us. 


- Should your lecturers also focus on your work attitude, or just leave you to sink or swim on your own? Why?

Lecturers should focus on our work attitude without letting us to sink on our own. If they are not there to check on us, we probably would not do any work that is assigned to us. As for me, I sometimes prefer to get help from the lecturers rather than being stuck on a problem. This is because the lecturers know better than us as to what we are suppose to do.

1 comment: